The story you are about to read is incredible. It is a story of betrayal. Betrayal by the person who stole $53 million from the taxpayers of the small city of Dixon, Illinois. And betrayal by the auditors who had a duty to seek out the fraud, but failed to heed the red flags that were available to them.
What Rita Crundwell Did
Rita Crundwell is currently serving 19 years, seven months in prison. She was well-known in the international horse-breeding game. Her champion horse ranch in Beloit, WI, (one of two), produced fifty-two world champions. At the time of her arrest, Ms. Crundwell had 311 registered quarter horses. She was also the City Comptroller of Dixon, Illinois.[iv]
- The single family residence located at 1679 U.S. Route 52, Dixon, Illinois;
- The horse farm property located at 1556 Red Brick Road, Dixon, Illinois;
- A single family residence located at 1403 Dutch Road, Dixon, Illinois;
- Approximately 80 acres of vacant land located in Lee County, Illinois with Lee County property identification number 14-09-07-100-014;
- A single family residence located at 821 East Fifth Street, Englewood, Florida;
- A 2009 Liberty Coach Motor Home, Model H-345, D/S, VIN 2PCV334988C711148;
- And various other trucks and boats.
The Liberty Motor Coach cost over $2 million. Here is a picture of the inside and outside of the bus: